Local to Global: Entrepreneurial Business Idea Competition 2023
What is GYEC Malaysia?
GYEC Malaysia is a national chapter of GYEC Global. We are organising Malaysia’s national round of the annual Global Youth Entrepreneurship Challenge (GYEC) for the second time in 2023. This national business idea hackathon is open to all secondary school students between the ages of 14-19 in Malaysia. The objectives of this national competition is to introduce students to the foundations of entrepreneurship, to equip students with practical skills of business plan writing and presentation, and to select award winning students who can join the global GYEC.
“The GYEC aims to encourage young people’s entrepreneurship and develop their knowledge and experience of enterprise. It gives an opportunity for teams of high school students from around the world to solve a significant global problem through an innovative and sustainable enterprise idea. They also learn to apply their knowledge of science and technology in a practical way.” – GYEC Global
Why Should You Join?
- Your students will get the opportunity to compete to win the national competition on entrepreneurship.
- The three winning teams will be delegated from Malaysia to compete in the GYEC on the global stage in May 2023. It will be an honourable event for your teachers and schools, as well as for students.
- You will get the opportunity to learn about entrepreneurship in the two workshops.
- You gain the experience of competing in the national competition.
- If selected as one of the three winning teams, you will delegate Malaysia as a national delegation member!
- E-certificate will be provided.
Who Should Join?
- a student who likes to compete,
- a student who is interested in entrepreneurship,
- a student who wants to grow by challenging your potential, or
- a student who wants to team-up with your peers to compete and get awarded!
- All team members are aged 14 – 19 and attend secondary school in Malaysia (Students have to be attending secondary school as of 26th May 2023. All members have to be as such. You cannot include anyone who is not in this category. For example, including one university student is not allowed).
- The team has to have a supervisor (teacher).
- The team comprises minimum 3 and maximum of 8 students.
- The team can secure a venue and ensure it fits the purpose for online participation (has reliable internet access, etc). We encourage team members together and work in the same place for the 12 hours competition. However, due to the pandemic situation, you can gather online using remote conference apps. In any case, you need to secure reliable internet access and email capability in order to compete in the online challenge. All members of your team should be working for 12 hours together during the competition.
- Communication devices (smartphones, tablets, computers, etc) that you can use for the following purposes:
a) to join Zoom workshops,
b) to write business plans, and
c) to make presentation videos.
- Good internet connection
- Your time commitment on Saturday 25th February 2023 (Attendance for the pre-events on 28 January and 18 February is recommended but not mandatory).
- Please note that the maximum number of teams from the same school for registering for this competition is limited to “three teams” from one school. If your school has more than three teams who want to register for this event, kindly do a pre-screening at your school and limit the number of registering teams up to the maximum “three teams”.
Registration will be open on 4 January 2023 online on this website.
The registration will be closed on 16 February 2023.
*Registration is extended from 10 February to 16 February (11:59pm) 2023.
Three winning teams will join the global competition on 27 May 2023!
Pre-event #1 Online session for promoting registration (Open to anyone interested in. Details will be announced on our social media)
– Competition Guidance
– Short Lecture on Business Plan Writing
– Short Lecture on Presentation Video Making
– Entrepreneur’s talk
– Kahoot Quiz
* Zoom link will be sent via email to the registered participants before the event.
* Attending the Pre-Workshops is recommended for you to better understand the competition contents and procedure, but NOT mandatory. We will not take attendance at the Pre-Workshop.
GYEC Malaysia (Registration required)
Competition/Hackathon – 12 hours competition
08:00 -Challenge Announcement
10:00 -Submission of team photos
18:00 -Submission of Business Plan
20:00 -Submission of Presentation Video
21:00 -Submission of Online Survey
Announcement of Winners
Special note: Attending the Pre-event #2 is highly recommended, as it will provide some guidance for the registered students on how to work on the challenges on the competition day. However, attending the pre-events is NOT mandatory.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I make a team with students from another school?
No, you cannot. Please form a team that consists of students from the same school.
Can we apply without a supervisor? We can handle all communication and registration.
No. Having a supervisor (teacher) is a must. We do not accept registration by students only.
Can my parents be the supervisor, not my teacher?
No. We ask your teacher to be a supervisor.
I am home-schooling / studying at a tuition centre. Can I apply?
Yes, as long as your age is 14 – 19 and you study as a secondary student does. You must specify which study programme you attend for your studies.
Does every team member have to have a communication device?
No, you can share a communication device with your teammates, as long as you can physically get together and share the device.
Do I need to have Malaysian nationality?
No, students with any nationality can apply. Likewise, supervisors may be international.
How many teams can join the Malaysian competition from the same school?
The maximum number of teams that can register from one school is “three”. However, please note that only one team can be selected within the three winning teams to represent from Malaysia at the global competition in May 2023, as it is the regulation of the global competition.
Is our registration final in terms of members of the team? Can we change our team members in case an emergency or necessity happens?
If two or more teams from the same school are awarded as among the top three teams in GYEC Malaysia competition, can they all participate the Global Competition?
No. Please note that only one team from the same school can be selected among the three winning teams to represent Malaysia in the global competition in May 2023, as it is the regulation of the Global Competition.
Registration and participation in the national competition is free. Please fill in the form below to register.
GYEC Malaysia Organising Committee
Co-Chairperson and Committee Member: Ai Goto, Founder and Project Initiator at CHANGE Education Project
Co-Chairperson and Committee Member: Ashraff Rahman, Founder and CEO of Humanity Heroes Foundation
Committee Member: Hui Ling Lee, Lecturer at University of Nottingham Malaysia
Committee Member and Liason to Selection Committee : Taeko Nakamura, Director of Luchouette Sdn. Bhd.
University Student Committee:
Head: Hanaue Mana
Assistant Head: Fukuda Airi
Marketing: Nishiwaka Saki, Fukumura Yuki
Corporate Communication: Ishigami Kanna, Nishijima Tomoe
Coordinator for the University Student Committee: Aya Sunaga, Director of ICC Education Consultants Malaysia Sdn.Bhd.
Wei Ching Lim, Independent Education Producer
In Partnership with:
CHANGE Education Project, Japan / Malaysia
Humanity Heroes Foundation, Malaysia
ICC Education Consultants Malaysia Sdn.Bhd.
Luchouette Sdn Bhd
YWCA Vocational Training Opportunity Centre, Malaysia
Bona Trust Corporation
Center for Entrepreneurship Development, Japan
This programme is approved by the Ministry of Education Malaysia (Kementrian Pendidikan Malaysia)
Follow and like us on social media:
Any questions? Send us your inquiry.